Wednesday 26 October 2011

How do you explain in a professional way you and your boyfriend broke up to co-workers?

I broke up with my boyfriend today after weeks of going back and forth deciding if we could make it work. He had very bad mood swings, he could have been the nicest guy ever and the next he was emotionally abusing. I want to make this easy to get through as possible, I work with all girls at a bank who are all talking about their b/f and husbands everyday.....what is a way I can let them know w/o having to answer a ton of questions as to why we broke up and what happened? I also need to let my boss know I changed my phone number...and to add I have pics up at my desk of us that I need to take down too, I%26#039;m just afraid ppl. asking me what happened will cause me to be emotional so I%26#039;m trying to avoid it. I thought of sending my boss a short email since we are all pretty close.|||Let your boss know what is going on. As for the others you can just say we broke up and I don%26#039;t really feel like talking about it right now. Hopefully they will leave it at that until you feel better about it and can tell them what a jerk he was!|||Don%26#039;t make a big deal about it. If anyone asks, just say you are no longer together. If they press for more information, just say that it is a private matter and you don%26#039;t want to discuss it.|||Go and tell your boss in person, and your boss can tell the rest of the team by taking each one aside quietly. Your boss can then say to them %26quot;Look, she%26#039;s feeling a bit fragile at the moment so just show her you support her without interrogating her.%26quot;


If you need to take a bit of time off too, I%26#039;m sure they%26#039;ll understand.|||You don%26#039;t . It%26#039;s none of their business. You shouldn%26#039;t be talking about that at the office anyway.|||First of all it%26#039;s no ones business. And you work in a bank. Not on a Soap Opera show. You own no one an explanation.


Don%26#039;t be afraid. Just tell them you%26#039;d rather not discuss your private life at work.


If you really find it hard to not chat about it? Just tell them you both came to an agreement to split for awhile to work out some personal things. And leave it at that.


They then should understand your reason for taking down pic%26#039;s.


Take care %26amp; all the best to you.|||You can simply say %26quot;We tried to make things work, but we just weren%26#039;t right for each other%26quot; leave it at that...you don%26#039;t need to go into details.|||If people do ask, just say we are not with each other anymore and leave it at that. If they push the issue, just kindly say you would not rather talk about it.





Inform your boss of the number change. You don%26#039;t have to explain. If he pushes about why you did it, just say you have been getting calls and no one is talking on the other end. You don%26#039;t have to give any information to anyone if you don%26#039;t want to.|||just say, %26quot;we%26#039;re no longer a pair. sorry, i don%26#039;t want to talk about it.%26quot;|||If you have a job where it would be normal to go to your boss and tell them about your personal life, then have the boss spend his/her day calling in the other employees one by one to discuss how to treat you properly in your emotional time, then you work in a sitcom and not real life.


Just give your boss your new number. No explanation needed. Take down your pictures. Again, no explanation needed. If someone asks you about your relationship, say, %26quot;We are no longer together.%26quot; They press you? %26quot;It wasn%26#039;t working out. I prefer not to discuss it.%26quot; I get that you are close at work, but work is for work, not for airing your personal business, especially when it is uncomfortable.