Monday 17 October 2011

How do you change the law that cell phone companies won't let you block restricted numbers?

With all ths modern technology I can%26#039;t believe cell phone companies won%26#039;t let you block restricted calls like you can on your house phone. I got my teens cell phones to be able to keep track of them and give them a little bit more freedom. My daughter%26#039;s number belonged to a lady who owed a lot of money to a lot oc companies and the bill collectors call. My step son%26#039;s phone belonged to some one who gets some real weird threatening phone phone calls, but they don%26#039;t even know him so he brings me the phone to talk to them. I can pay to change the numbers $30, but there is no guarantee I might get a bad number again. My daughter%26#039;s has leveled off and she really don%26#039;t get that much anymore because I spoke to each person. My step son cannot resist answering a restricted call because he seems convinced every call is his mom. I told her to unblock when she does call. Who do I write to change this? We can block them on a house phone why not a cell?|||Actually you can have blocked calls not go to your cell phone.



Apply a silent ringtone to private/unknown callers. That way you cannot hear your phone ringing when they do call. You can just ignore the call.



If this is a recurring problem you can forward your calls to a toll-free number which will reveal blocked IDs.



When I need to bust a private caller I forward unanswered calls to a toll-free number instead of voicemail deposit. Then don%26#039;t answer private calls. Caller ID cannot be blocked to toll-free numbers.



You can use the toll-free provider%26#039;s voicemail or forward the call to another line from there.



The toll-free provider I use is Kall8 which immediately sends an email with the caller%26#039;s name (if available) and number. You can have this sent to your phone. This provider charges $2 a month and 6.9 cents a minute.|||How do you apply a silent ring tone to the %26#039;unknown%26#039; number? A number that calls me constantly that is %26#039;unknown%26#039; and doesn%26#039;t say anything or leave a message shows up as %26#039;unknown%26#039; I can%26#039;t even %26#039;store%26#039; the %26#039;unknown%26#039; to my phone. I have a Razr V3xx (At%26amp;t)

Thanks

Report Abuse

|||Your provider should not charge to change the number due to harrasing calls. I work for att Mobility, and in my store the only time anyone is charged is if it is for vanity reasons, and they want a specific number. (i.e. 555-JOHN). Call and complain to your povider, they should change at no charge.



As far as the technology goes, currently it is cost prohibitive as a result of the amount of switches the call is routed through before it makes it to your handset. There are ways to do it, and are usually expensive and cost more in the long run than just changing the number.



You might also look into a different handset. Some handsets have features that will block any call that is not the phonebook, etc. It%26#039;s designed more for parental control than the situation you are describing, but might be another solution to your problem..|||Most phone companies, such as Verizon Wireless will change a number for free if you have been receiving threatening or harassing phone calls. The only thing at this point that you can do would be to get your son a phone like the firefly or disney mobile that is made for younger children. You can then program into the phone just who he can call or receive calls from. At this point due to the nature of the industry, you cannot block restricted numbers. Caller ID is a function of most cell phones, but they are not infallible. Some calls can go through as restricted for no reason, and as someone you know at other times.
  • rodents
  • software
  •