Wednesday 26 October 2011

Cell phone harrasment today. Scam? Prank call? What could it be? Sorry- long question.?

So I got called today by what I thought was a wrong number. They asked my name %26amp; I told them %26amp; asked if they had the wrong number. I guess they didn%26#039;t because they kept calling back. I was curious so I answered. They were not being rude, just asking how I was, if I spoke French and at one point asked for me to call them but I said no of course. They would get out like 5 words before they would hang up or get disconnected. For like an hour, they called like 10/15 times. I was getting really mad and like the last 5 times they would not speak. My husband said threaten them with the cops so I finally said I was calling the cops and they said %26quot;oh bye%26quot; and hung up and never called back. During this, I called my cell phone carrier and asked if there is any way to tell where this call was from and she didn%26#039;t think twice she just said %26quot;no, I can%26#039;t help you,%26quot; %26quot;maybe just put it in the internet.%26quot; Lot of help she was, but my husband put it in the internet and it said the number was from Mali (western Africa), main language is French. I am wondering if anyone heard of something like this before. I mean that would be a really expensive prank call especially when the majority of Mali is under the poverty threshold. I probably shouldn%26#039;t of answered the phone 10+ times but I am hard headed and wanted to know what the heck was going on. I heard of a scam where places would try to get you to call them back and then they would charge your phone a TON of money. Anyone know of this scam or any other scam or reason I could have been receiving these calls? Thanks for your help! I am worried now and will probably change my number.|||I think it was something like you said. If you called them back there is probably something they could do. I think you should report it to the police. You probably can look it up on the internet for the type of scam it is.



You were smart not to call them back.|||they migh have tried to scam you because i lately saw this on the news where people from africa call people around the world and ask them for there info and give them a reason for them do give them there info.... what you should have done is go to the police and tell them about this|||Never give any information over the phone. Who knows what the game was, but just having a person%26#039;s name can give leads to other information for those who criminally use phone call scams to gain personal information.|||maybe they spoofed the caller id, changed it to be something else and then called you
  • ittwit
  • horrible cat
  •